Lean and Productive Automated Manufacturing Barcode Software
Productive automated manufacturing is lean manufacturing. “Lean” in this case refers to a streamlined, simplified system that “trims the fat” of excess labor, costs, or steps in any process. The idea is that the simpler the manufacturing process, the better.
Nowhere is this more apt than in the area of warehouse management. Barcode software for manufacturing can streamline your warehouse and operation, improving efficiencies and costs.
Lean manufacturing systems attempt to specify your company’s value, identify a value stream, and enable products to flow at the rate of customer demand. Constant improvements to the system mean that the system is never “set” but always evolving in an effort continually learn and improve.
Around the world, manufacturers are implementing lean strategies to boost productivity and increase profitability. However, for many small manufacturers, lean systems are only a dream. They can be costly to implement, although the money savings achieved from the system will eventually offset the cost. Fortunately, barcode software is a simple method of making your manufacturing a little more “lean” at a very reasonable cost.
Barcoding Software Improves Efficiencies
Barcoding software and applications support lean principles in several ways. Manufacturers rely on a well-coordinated chain of events to function efficiently. Raw goods must be supplied in a timely manner to waiting factories, for example. Real-time information and supply chain visibility is critical to make such a system function well.
Businesses today depend upon real-time information about their products to make swift decisions. Applications such as ERP systems, warehouse management systems, supply chain visibility applications, and more bring data together and make it accessible to everyone in the business for better decision-making. Real-time data is essential to support the “lean” mentality and strategy. With real-time data, you can eliminate waste and achieve maximum efficiency.
Barcode systems added to your warehouse can improve efficiencies and add to this comprehensive system in several ways. Barcode systems:
- Provide information on inventory status at all times: Barcode tracking alerts you to stock location, as well as stock status, at all times. You’ll have real-time data on where any barcoded item resides within warehouse.
- Reduces product search time: Instead of spending time fruitlessly wandering the warehouse seeking products, barcode software linked to your ERP system makes it a snap to locate the right items and find them quickly.
- Increases order accuracy: Instead of relying upon manual counts, barcode scanners and software let you swipe items to double-check them against P.Os. and other documentation. This can be verified within the computer system.
- Reduces costs: Efficiency improvements reduce labor costs, which in turn reduce overall costs of doing business. The reduced order errors can also improve your profit margins by reducing restocking and return rates and costs.
- Eliminates manual processes: Tedious manual inventory taking, which often takes considerable time and labor, can now be accomplished in a fraction of the time that it used to. Fewer mistakes occur because manual data entry is removed from the equation. Data flows instantly from the barcode software into the ERP system, eliminating the manual data entry step in the process.
Lean Becomes Achievable
Most manufacturing businesses can afford barcoding solutions to support lean manufacturing principles. These principles confer many benefits and few, if any, drawbacks on your business.
To begin using barcode software, you’ll need to make sure that you’ve implemented a robust ERP system with barcode capabilities such as Sage 100. Once that’s in place, newer mobile apps can transform any smartphone, tablet, or laptop into a barcode scanner, with software making it easy to print labels or run reports. Real-time data automatically updates the entire system, making your operations leaner, more efficient, and profitable.
It’s a small improvement that can yield big results. With barcode software, you can compete with “the big guys” by improving efficiencies and embracing a ‘lean’ mentality.
ONE Software Solution
ONE Software Solution can help you with warehouse automation and improvements. We offer Sage 100 and other excellent solutions for today’s warehouse environment. Contact us today for more information or call 877-722-6261.